Todd Gloria Proposes Nearly 85% Arts Funding Cut in San Diego
todd gloria’s revised San Diego budget would still cut city arts and culture grants by nearly 85%, dropping funding from roughly $13.8 million to about $2 million. City leaders will have one final opportunity on Monday to weigh in before a final vote next month.
Todd Gloria Budget Proposal
Gloria said the city has to focus on keeping people safe, preparing roads, housing the homeless, and building more homes people can afford. His revised budget keeps those priorities in place even after he announced last week that he was restoring some previously planned cuts, including funding tied to library and recreation center hours.
That leaves arts and culture among the biggest remaining cuts in the proposal. Arts leaders said the reduction could reach neighborhood festivals, theater productions, free dance programs, free music programs, and educational programs that rely on city support.
San Diego Arts Funding Cuts
An unnamed arts supporter said during a recent budget discussion, “Any arts and culture organization in this city facing cuts in their city funding is going to have to turn around and make cuts in their own operation.” The same supporter added, “Probably the first thing to go are going to be programs and community services that are free.”
For organizations that use the grants to keep those programs open, the proposed drop from $13.8 million to $2 million would force immediate changes in how they operate. The budget debate now splits the city’s restored library and recreation funding from the arts cuts that remain in place.
Balboa Park Attendance
Museum leaders said tourism and foot traffic in Balboa Park are down an average of 34% since paid parking meters were installed earlier this year. Some organizations estimate museums and arts institutions in the park could collectively lose nearly $10 million this year if attendance continues to fall.
That combination leaves arts groups facing lower city support at the same time some are already seeing fewer visitors. With Monday’s discussion ahead and a final vote due next month, the size of the cut is still the most immediate issue for groups that depend on city money for free public programs.