Southampton Hear Spygate Case at 09:00 BST in EFL Commission

Southampton Hear Spygate Case at 09:00 BST in EFL Commission

southampton were in front of an English Football League independent disciplinary commission at 09:00 BST on Tuesday over the spygate case. A decision was expected later in the day, with the hearing able to run into Wednesday and the club's path to Wembley hanging over it.

Rockliffe Park Incident

The charge centres on a Middlesbrough training session two days before the first leg of the play-off semi-final. Middlesbrough want Southampton thrown out of the play-offs after arguing the alleged spying "goes to the heart of sporting integrity and fair competition".

Sources said the man accused stood pointing his mobile at the session while wearing in-ear headphones. Middlesbrough staff believed he may have been live-streaming the drill via a video call, and one member of staff approached him before he refused to identify himself.

Middlesbrough's Evidence Trail

The man deleted some content from his phone before running off into the golf club, then jogged into the toilets, changed his clothes and hurriedly left the site. He was said to have been a couple of hundred yards away from the training area at Rockliffe Park.

Middlesbrough's photographer took photos and matched him to a picture on the Southampton website, and one of those images was made public last week. Middlesbrough reported the incident to the EFL, which set the disciplinary process in motion.

Wembley Stakes

Southampton are due to play Hull City in the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Saturday, so the timing of the hearing lands four days before that match. If the commission sides with Middlesbrough, the dispute could reshape the final itself rather than just close out the semi-final story.

For Southampton, the immediate issue is simple: keep the play-off place and reach Wembley, or face the possibility that the case cuts across the route to the richest game in world football.

Next