Matt Peet Makes 10 Changes For Hull Kr Vs Warriors Trip

Matt Peet Makes 10 Changes For Hull Kr Vs Warriors Trip

Wigan Warriors made 10 changes for hull kr vs warriors, and only 11 of the 21 players named by Matt Peet for last Friday’s win over Leeds Rhinos stayed in the squad. The reshuffle comes before a Super League trip to fourth-placed Hull KR, who are on the same number of points as Wigan but have played a game less.

Peet’s selection also points to the bigger week ahead. Wigan face Hull KR again at Wembley on Saturday, 30 May, in the Challenge Cup final.

Peet Reshapes Wigan Squad

The head coach altered almost half of the matchday group after last week’s Leeds win, keeping the squad size at 21 but changing 10 names. George O’Loughlin is among the new faces in the frame, with the 19-year-old centre set against the possibility of a first senior appearance.

O’Loughlin carries a familiar name at Wigan. He is the son of Sean O’Loughlin, the former club skipper who is now an assistant coach.

The scale of the turnover is the key point for Wigan supporters who are tracking how Peet manages two meetings with the same opponent in quick succession. One of those games is on Thursday in league play, and the other is the Challenge Cup final at Wembley nine days before the end of the month.

Hull KR Lose Mourgue

Hull KR named a 21-man squad as well, but they were forced into one notable absence of their own. Arthur Mourgue missed out after a recurrence of his pectoral injury in Saturday’s win over Leigh Leopards, while Joe Burgess and Jack Charles also dropped out for Thursday’s hosts.

That leaves both clubs dealing with altered squads before a meeting that carries more than ordinary round-12 weight. Hull KR sit fourth and arrive with a game in hand on Wigan, so the Thursday result can affect the gap between the sides before they meet again in London.

The selection noise around Wigan also drew scrutiny because of last season’s operational-rules case involving Salford Red Devils and team selection against St Helens. The Rugby Football League said it had made enquiries about Wigan’s squad declaration and added: “As part of the squad declaration process, the RFL made enquiries with Wigan Warriors about the squad selected.” It also said: “Given the club's response and evidence, the RFL are satisfied that there is no breach of the Operational Rules.”

Wembley Rematch Set

Wigan’s immediate task is Thursday’s league trip, but the squad changes are being measured against the wider schedule because the same two teams will meet again in the Challenge Cup final on 30 May. Wigan were the cup winners in 2024 on the way to their single-season quadruple, and they remain the competition’s most successful side with 21 victories.

That gives this week a double edge: league points first, Wembley later. For Peet, the selection call has already shown how aggressively he is managing the run of fixtures against a direct rival sitting level on points.

Next