Fritz Set for French Open Opener After One Match Since Mid-March
Taylor Fritz reached Roland-Garros with little match rhythm behind him. The world No. 8 played only one match since mid-March because of a knee injury, then arrived for his French Open opener on Sunday against Nishesh Basavareddy.
Fritz said, "The positive is my knee felt good last week playing" and added, "[I’m] a bit rusty, obviously, but feeling good physically and excited to get back to just playing tennis and getting my level back." That leaves his opening-round test tied less to ranking and more to how quickly his body and timing come together.
Geneva Showed the Gap
Last week in Geneva, Fritz did get one match in, but he lost to Alexei Popyrin. It was his only competitive outing since mid-March, which makes the contrast at Roland-Garros plain: a top-eight seed and US Open finalist walking into a Grand Slam opener with very little recent court time.
The timing matters because Fritz is not easing into the event from a full schedule. He had been limited by the knee injury for weeks, and Geneva was the first real sign of where his movement and conditioning stood before Paris.
Basavareddy Brings a Different Profile
Basavareddy entered as a wildcard at world No. 158 and was 21 years old. He also came in six inches shorter than Fritz at 5ft 11ins and 30lbs lighter, a gap that puts the physical contrast of the matchup front and center even before a point is played.
For Fritz, that means the opening round was less about reputation and more about whether the knee held up under the strain of a best-of-five Grand Slam match. He had already said he felt good physically, but the next step was translating that into enough sharpness to survive the first round and build his level from there.