Verstappen Threatens To Quit Over 2027 Engine Rules
verstappen said he could leave Formula 1 at the end of this season if planned changes to the engine regulations for next year are blocked. The Dutch driver tied that threat directly to the sport's stalled energy-management proposal, saying staying in the current direction would not work for him.
“If it stays like this, it's going to be a long year next year, which I don't want,” he said on Thursday. “It's just mentally not doable for me to stay like this. It's really not.” He added that if he decided to stop, he would not come back.
Canadian Grand Prix qualifying
Verstappen qualified sixth for the Canadian Grand Prix, finishing ahead of Red Bull team-mate Isack Hadjar. The result came as talks continued over the weekend in Canada about the proposed engine changes, which are designed to reduce the need for energy management under the new formula introduced this year.
Drivers have complained all season about the way the new engines have reduced their ability to drive on the limit at all times. The current setup uses a nominal 50-50 split between internal combustion and electrical energy, and the cars have been energy starved enough to require recovery techniques even on qualifying laps.
Engine split on the table
Two weeks ago, the FIA said an agreement had been reached in principle on changes to that system. The latest plan would move the split from about 54-46 in favour of the internal combustion engine to 60-40, a shift Verstappen said would return racing almost back to normal and make the product better.
“It will make the product better, so that means that I'm happier,” he said. “And that's what I want. To be able to continue and perform well.” He also said, “For me, I'm happy where I'm at. I see the team really progressing. And that's also very exciting to see.”
Mercedes, Red Bull, Audi, Ferrari
There is still not enough support for the change to pass under Formula 1's governance protocols, even though optimism remains that enough manufacturers opposing it can be persuaded. Mercedes and Red Bull are in favour, while Audi has cost concerns and Ferrari is worried about losing the extra development opportunities it expects to be permitted after this race under the sport's rules.
That split leaves Verstappen's future tied to a vote that has not cleared the required support. If the move fails, his threat makes the next stage of the rules fight impossible to ignore.