South County Hospital was placed on lockdown Monday afternoon after a reported active shooter incident. South Kingstown police said they had not confirmed a shooter or any identified victims, while incoming patients were diverted to other facilities.
The response changed hospital access immediately. Police said they were investigating the scene and urged the public to steer clear of South County Hospital while they worked.
South Kingstown police response
South Kingstown police were handling the scene Monday afternoon. Their account split the incident into two parts: the reported threat that triggered the lockdown, and the lack of a confirmed shooter or identified victims at the hospital.
For anyone heading to care, the practical effect was diversion. Incoming patients were being sent to other facilities while the lockdown remained in place and police continued their investigation.
South County Hospital access
The hospital lockdown meant the public was being kept away from the property during the police response. That left patients and families needing to change plans quickly if they were arriving or expected to arrive that afternoon.
Police said they were still investigating the scene, which left the immediate next step in their hands: secure the area, check the report, and keep the public away until they could sort out what prompted the alert at South County Hospital.
Monday afternoon lockdown
The core complication is that the hospital was locked down after a reported active shooter incident, but police said there was no confirmed shooter. That gap is what made the situation urgent for anyone tied to the hospital, because access, arrivals, and patient routing all changed before the report had been fully resolved.







