Neil John launches murder investigation after Hounslow fire death

Police launched a murder investigation after a 48-year-old woman died following a fire in Hounslow; nine people were taken to hospital.

Published
2 Min Read
Neil John launches murder investigation after Hounslow fire death

Police in Hounslow have launched a murder investigation after a 48-year-old woman died in hospital following a fire on Berkeley Avenue. Officers were called at 01:14hrs on Wednesday, 19 August, and nine people were taken to hospital after the blaze.

- Advertisement -

The Metropolitan Police said the woman died despite best efforts of medical staff. A 40-year-old woman remains in hospital in a life-threatening condition, while six men and one woman were discharged after treatment for minor injuries.

Berkeley Avenue in Hounslow

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John said enquiries were moving quickly as officers worked to establish the full circumstances surrounding the fire. He said the incident was believed to be isolated within a residential address, and police asked anyone with CCTV, doorbell camera or dashcam footage to come forward.

“Our thoughts are first and foremost with the victim's family and loved ones at this extremely difficult time, as well as everyone who has been injured.”

“Our enquiries are progressing at pace as we work to establish the full circumstances surrounding the fire, which we believe may have been started deliberately.”

- Advertisement -

Metropolitan Police inquiry

The murder investigation follows the death of the 48-year-old woman after she was taken to hospital with injuries from the fire. Her next-of-kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.

No arrests had been made at the early stage of the investigation. Police asked anyone with information to call 101 and quote CAD 359/19Aug, or pass details anonymously through Crimestoppers.

“We understand this to be an isolated incident within a residential address; however, we understand it will cause concern within the local community. Officers will remain in the area throughout the day, and we will provide updates as our investigation continues.”

“I would ask anyone with information that could assist our enquiries, including CCTV, doorbell camera or dashcam footage, to contact us.”

- Advertisement -

The immediate priority is evidence. Anyone with footage from the area, or any information about what happened before the fire, can help police test whether the blaze was started deliberately and identify who was responsible.

Advertisement
TAGGED:
Share This Article
Senior analyst covering national news, legislative developments, and media trends. Former Washington bureau correspondent with over 14 years experience.