Klint Kubiak says the Raiders have 'another week' before naming a starter — Raiders Vs Broncos

Klint Kubiak is keeping the Raiders quarterback race open after Thursday night, with one more week before the opener against the Dolphins.

Published
1 Min Read
Klint Kubiak says the Raiders have 'another week' before naming a starter — Raiders Vs Broncos

The Raiders still do not have a starting quarterback, and Klint Kubiak made that clear after Thursday night’s preseason game. With Fernando Mendoza struggling and Kirk Cousins sitting out, Kubiak declined to name a starter and said the team has "another week" before it needs to make the call.

- Advertisement -

That matters because the regular season is almost here. The Raiders open against the Dolphins on September 13, and the quarterback decision remains one of the biggest questions left on the roster.

Kubiak keeps the door open

Kubiak had already treated Cousins’ job as one to lose, and Cousins has been working with the first-string offense in training camp. Even so, Thursday night did not produce the kind of final answer that would force an immediate decision.

After the game, Kubiak said, "We’ve got another week of playing. I don’t want anyone to be comfortable in their job." He added that it should be that way for all positions and closed by saying, "So, let’s keep going forward."

What it means for the Raiders

The message is straightforward: the Raiders are not rushing the decision. With one preseason week left, the team still has time to evaluate the quarterback competition before the opener. For now, that leaves the job open and the pressure in place.

- Advertisement -

That approach also fits the timing. The Raiders are close enough to September 13 that every rep matters, but still have enough runway to keep sorting through the competition before the regular season begins.

Advertisement
Share This Article
Sports journalist reporting on tennis, golf, and international sports events. Credentialed at Wimbledon, the US Open, and the Masters.