Portsmouth news: a 14-year-old boy died in hospital after being hit by a bus at The Hard in Portsmouth on Monday. Police were called at 16:25 BST and the pedestrian was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries before later dying.
The collision happened at The Hard, a busy street and travel interchange in the centre of Portsmouth. The area includes a bus station and Portsmouth Harbour railway station, which brings steady footfall through the location where the boy was struck.
Police arrested a 39-year-old Portsmouth man on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, then bailed him until 17 November. They asked witnesses, and anyone with dashcam or CCTV footage, to contact them.
Stagecoach in Portsmouth
Stagecoach said it was helping the police investigation. The company said: "We are deeply saddened to hear of the death of the 14-year-old boy following the incident involving one of our buses."
It added: "Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this extremely difficult time." The statement places the company’s immediate response alongside the police inquiry, while the legal process continues separately.
Beau Croucher was named in the tribute story linked to the incident. The death leaves police with a homicide-level outcome to examine against an arrest that, so far, remains tied to dangerous driving rather than any more serious allegation.
The Hard in Portsmouth
Police are still trying to establish how the collision happened at The Hard. The witness appeal and request for dashcam or CCTV footage point to the next practical step: evidence from people in the area may be needed to reconstruct the sequence before any further decision on the case.
For anyone who was at The Hard on Monday afternoon, the key point is that police are actively seeking footage and accounts from around the bus station and Portsmouth Harbour railway station. The boy has died, the arrested man remains on bail until 17 November, and the investigation continues from there.







