The US Navy had previously announced that the carrier under construction would be called the USS Doris Miller, but reported Friday that it is now working to rename it. Two sources said the conversations have included naming the ship for Donald Trump.
The reported shift puts the carrier’s original namesake back in the center of the story. Doris Miller was a Navy cook who reportedly shot down four to six Japanese bombers at Pearl Harbor in 1941, despite having no formal training on the weapons system he used.
Doris Miller at Pearl Harbor
Miller received the Navy Cross for his actions at Pearl Harbor. The citation said he assisted in moving his mortally wounded captain to a place of greater safety and later manned and operated a machine gun against Japanese attacking aircraft. He died at sea in 1943 when two-thirds of the crew were lost to a Japanese torpedo aboard the Liscome Bay.
His family has long advocated for his award to be upgraded to a Medal of Honor. Cuba Gooding Jr portrayed Miller in the 2001 film Pearl Harbor.
Trump and the carrier name
The prospect of renaming the ship for Trump would go beyond the original plan to honor Miller. No carrier in the US navy has ever been named for a sitting president, making the reported discussions unusual within the service’s naming history.
Derrick Johnson called the reported plan a slap in the face to war heroes and service members. He said, “This is a slap in the face to every war hero and every service member who has worn the uniform” and added that “Doris Miller earned his place in American history through courage, sacrifice, and service.”
Mark Kelly wrote on X that the aircraft carrier should not be renamed for Trump. He said, “Dorie Miller’s bravery at Pearl Harbor is legendary and resulted in him being awarded the Navy Cross.” He also said, “This aircraft carrier shouldn’t be renamed at all, let alone for Donald Trump, who has denigrated servicemembers like Dorie Miller who have paid the ultimate price.”
USS Doris Miller and Friday
The Navy declined to comment. The White House referred comment to the Department of Defense, which declined to comment. Before Friday, the carrier under construction was publicly announced as the USS Doris Miller, and the reported talks leave the name in question while no formal renaming decision has been announced.







