David Morens Pleads Guilty in Coronavirus Records Scheme

David Morens pleaded guilty in Washington to one count in a coronavirus records scheme tied to hidden federal emails and FOIA requests.

Published
2 Min Read
David Morens Pleads Guilty in Coronavirus Records Scheme

David Morens pleaded guilty in Washington on August 18, 2026, to one count of conspiracy to commit offenses and to defraud the United States in a coronavirus records scheme. The 78-year-old former senior adviser at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases had been accused of helping hide federal COVID-19 communications from public view.

- Advertisement -

The plea resolved a case that grew out of Freedom of Information Act requests sent to NIAID between April 2020 and December 2022. Prosecutors said those requests sought communications tied to Morens, EcoHealth Alliance president Peter Daszak, and pandemic-era records.

NIH emails and Gmail

Morens served at NIAID's Office of the Director from 2006 to 2022. Court filings say he agreed with the two co-conspirators to use his personal Gmail account instead of his official NIH account to exchange emails about COVID-19 and its origins, while also sharing nonpublic information from the NIH and back-channel information to an unidentified senior NIAID official.

Court filings say that unidentified official appears to be Anthony Fauci. Morens and Fauci each appeared before the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic in 2024, placing the plea in the same broader inquiry that congressional Republicans have used to examine pandemic-era decision-making and the Wuhan lab-leak theory.

Peter Daszak and the grant

Prosecutors said the concealment scheme sat inside a wider trail of pandemic records involving EcoHealth Alliance and its president, Peter Daszak. EcoHealth Alliance received a 2014 grant titled Understanding the Risk of Bat Coronavirus Emergence, and The Wuhan Institute of Virology received a subaward from that grant before The National Institutes of Health terminated the award in April 2020 following allegations that COVID-19 emerged from the lab.

- Advertisement -

That history explains why the emails drew scrutiny long after the grant was cut off: the public-records requests covered the period when officials and outside researchers were still trying to reconstruct how the pandemic story had been discussed inside federal channels.

Morens and the gratuities

The plea also intersected with a separate gratuities allegation. Morens admitted that he and Peter Daszak conspired to pay illegal gratuities, and court records show that Morens received two bottles of wine in June 2020 at his Maryland house. Daszak also told Morens in an email to his personal account that he could provide additional items of value, including a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

Tim Belevetz said, "By pleading guilty today, Dr. Morens has taken responsibility for what he did and will continue to do so." Morens faces up to five years in prison, and the unresolved issue is the exact reach of the records that were kept out of public view beyond the COVID-19 emails named in the plea.

Advertisement
Share This Article
World affairs reporter covering Asia-Pacific, climate diplomacy, and the United Nations. Pulitzer-nominated for conflict reporting.