Kurt Sutter said on Thursday, August 20, that he is not involved with Legends at all, drawing a clean line between the new miniseries and the franchise he built. He also said Charlie Hunnam came to him early in the process and got his blessing before taking the project forward.
Charlie Hunnam’s FX pitch
Charlie Hunnam is developing Legends as a miniseries, and FX ordered it after he brought the idea in with a pitch built around a cast reunion more than a decade after Sons of Anarchy. The setup gives the project a familiar cast framework while shifting the focus to a real-world threat inside the story.
Kurt Sutter said the series “has nothing to do with the characters I created or the mythology,” which is the key distinction for anyone reading this as a straight franchise continuation. He also said, “Charlie came to me early on, when he was in the process of pitching this to the network, to ask for my blessing, knowing that the IP [intellectual property] would probably not be able to be invoked for various reasons of legalese stuff, and I gave Charlie my full blessing.”
Katey Sagal on set
Sutter said his wife, Katey Sagal, is going to appear in the series, and he added that he saw a script for Legends on her knitting table. His reaction was blunt: “It’s so well-done, and I think you’ll dig it. And that’s my two cents,” followed by, “I love Charlie to death, and I think you will have mad love for this project as well.”
Nick Grad said FX “instantly sparked” to Hunnam’s “bold and entertaining vision,” and called his work “a love letter to the series and a fun meta twist on what fans think they know.” That framing puts Legends in a narrow lane: it is not being sold as a reboot of Sons of Anarchy, but as a reunion piece that leans on the cast’s shared history without putting Sutter inside the creative chain.
Legends and the cast return
Ron Perlman, Maggie Siff, Mark Boone Junior, Tommy Flanagan, Kim Coates and Theo Rossi are all set to return, giving the project the broadest cast reunion attached to the franchise so far. For viewers tracking what survives from Sons of Anarchy, the practical answer is simple: the familiar faces are back, Sutter is not, and the creative credit now sits with Hunnam and the FX team around him.







