A temporary restraining order granted in Louisiana on Aug. 20 gave 16 players from the class of 2022 a fifth year of eligibility, and Dae'Quan Wright was among the players who moved quickly after the ruling. Wright, a former Ole Miss tight end, reportedly entered the transfer portal after receiving the extra year.
The development matters because the NCAA had announced a five-year, age-based eligibility model, and this ruling created a new path for a small group of players who had already moved deep into their college or football careers. Several NFL players have been granted the opportunity to return to college football ahead of this season, and the issue has drawn attention well beyond one roster.
What Wright did after the ruling
Wright’s decision came after the restraining order was issued, with the player entering the transfer portal as he adjusted to the new eligibility window. The college football season gets underway on Aug. 29, so timing matters for any player trying to make a late change in plans.
That gives Wright a chance to evaluate his next step while the situation remains in motion. The ruling did not affect the broader NCAA framework, but it did create immediate movement for the players involved.
Why some coaches pushed back
Dan Lanning was among the coaches who expressed skepticism about the idea of players returning to college football after moving on. He said there are a lot of negatives involved, starting with the belief that once a player goes to the NFL, he is in the NFL and does not get the opportunity to come back.
Lanning also pointed to the roster ripple effect. With limited roster limits in place, bringing back a player can force a team to remove someone else, and he said that is not fair to the players who spent the summer and spring preparing for their roles.
For Wright, the ruling opened a new door. For college programs, it adds another layer to an already complicated offseason as teams balance eligibility questions, roster management and late summer decisions.







