Miguel Díaz-canel warns of bloodbath after 300-drone report
Miguel Díaz-canel said on Monday that any U.S. military action against Cuba would lead to a "bloodbath" with incalculable consequences for regional peace and stability. In the same post on X, Diaz-Canel said, "Cuba does not represent a threat," after an Axios report on Sunday cited classified intelligence and said Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones.
Axios report and Havana response
The Axios report said Cuba had discussed plans to use the drones to attack the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, U.S. military vessels and Key West, Florida. Cuba said the United States was fabricating a case to justify potential military intervention, while Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said Cuba has the right to legitimate self-defense against external aggression under the U.N. Charter and international law.
Rodriguez said Cuba had that right "like every nation in the world," pairing the legal argument with a warning that Havana would treat outside pressure as a sovereignty issue. The dispute adds to sharply rising U.S.-Cuba tensions, which reported last week also included plans by prosecutors to indict former Cuban leader Raul Castro over Cuba's 1996 shooting down of two planes operated by a humanitarian group.
Havana residents and the threat of force
On the streets of Havana, some residents backed the government’s defiant line despite deep economic hardship. Sandra Roseaux said, "I know Cuba is a strong country. Cubans are very brave and they are not going to find us unprepared," and added, "If they come, they will have to fight, because Cuba will respond. My country, hungry or however it may be, will respond. It is better that they do not come because there will be a fight."
Ulises Medina said, "It would not be right for the United States to invade Cuba, nor for Cuba to invade the United States," and urged, "They must reach an agreement and talk and negotiate. Cuba, in any case, will defend itself because the country will not be surrendered." Jorge Villalobos said, "The Cuban people do not let anyone interfere with their land," adding, "Cubans know how to defend themselves, even with sticks and stones."
Cuba under strain
The warning comes as Cuba's economy has come under increasing strain since the United States cut off its energy supplies in January after arresting the president of its then-ally Venezuela. Fuel has run out in Cuba in recent weeks, and electricity is often available for only an hour or two a day, leaving Havana residents already managing shortages while a new military threat is being debated in public.
Any further move now hinges on whether Washington treats the drone report as a basis for pressure or escalation. Diaz-Canel has already set Cuba's response in public terms, and Havana's message is that any action against the island would be met with resistance rather than silence.