Boutros Drops Remaining Broadview Six Charges — Kat Abughazaleh Broadview Case

Boutros Drops Remaining Broadview Six Charges — Kat Abughazaleh Broadview Case

U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros dropped the remaining charges in the kat abughazaleh broadview case on Thursday, ending the case against four defendants after misconduct before a grand jury came to light. The dismissal was with prejudice, so prosecutors cannot refile the case.

Kat Abughazaleh, Michael Rabbitt, Andre Martin and Brian Straw were the four remaining defendants. Boutros told U.S. District Judge April Perry he was “completely unaware” of the misconduct until late last month.

April Perry Court Hearing

Boutros also told Perry that “no one acted with the intent to mislead your honor.” He defended the underlying Sept. 26, 2025 incident outside an immigration holding facility in Broadview, saying it was “unacceptable in a civilized society. It is for the grace of God that that agent moved at 2 miles per hour.”

Perry responded that, “You are significantly undercutting your mea culpa here by standing behind the charges and continuing to vilify these particular defendants.” She also said “the interest in guaranteeing a fair jury to these defendants is more compelling than allowing access to this particular proceeding.”

Grand Jury Problems

Boutros and defense attorneys described multiple problems inside the grand jury. One prosecutor allegedly vouched to jurors that the case would not have been brought if it was not just, another allegedly spoke with a grand juror outside the jury room, and some jurors who disagreed with the case were allegedly prevented from taking part further.

Defense attorneys also said grand jurors had already rejected the case in a no bill before the charges were brought again. The hearing drew intervention Thursday morning from the Chicago Sun-Times, WBEZ, the Chicago Tribune and the Better Government Association, which asked for the sealed proceeding to be on the public record.

Boutros And The Defendants

The four defendants were the last members of the Broadview Six still facing criminal charges, and the case stemmed from Operation Midway Blitz. Judge Perry said the issue of sanctions could be dealt with later as she sought to end the ordeal for the defendants.

Boutros was first appointed by then-Attorney General Pamela Bondi and later chosen by Chicago’s federal judges last summer to continue in the role on a more permanent basis. With the felony conspiracy case dismissed with prejudice, the remaining Broadview defendants no longer face those charges in court.

Next