Belinda Bencic and Trump Says Iran Deal Was Largely Negotiated Saturday

Belinda Bencic and Trump Says Iran Deal Was Largely Negotiated Saturday

belinda bencic is not part of this story; US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that a deal with Tehran had been largely negotiated and would end the war while reopening the Strait of Hormuz. The announcement put the shipping route and the shape of any final agreement at the center of the day’s Iran talks.

Trump’s Saturday announcement

Trump said the agreement was “largely negotiated,” then described its terms as ending the war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz. He made no mention of Iran’s nuclear program in the announcement, even though that issue quickly became the main point of dispute around the emerging deal.

An Israeli official later said the United States was updating Israel on negotiations for a memorandum of understanding to open the Strait of Hormuz. That official said Trump would stand firm on his demand that Iran dismantle its nuclear program and remove all enriched uranium from Iranian territory.

Israel and Tehran split

The same Israeli official said Trump would not sign a final agreement unless those conditions were accepted. A senior Iranian source told that Tehran had not agreed to hand over its highly enriched uranium stockpile, leaving a clear gap between the two sides on the core nuclear question.

That disagreement sat alongside the broader security stakes of the proposal. The reported deal would deal with the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping passage, and the talks were still moving while tensions remained high.

Cruz presses Trump

Senator Ted Cruz said he was “deeply concerned about what we are hearing about an Iran ‘deal’ being pushed by some voices in the administration.” He warned that if the outcome meant an Iranian regime “receiving billions of dollars, being able to enrich uranium & develop nuclear weapons, and having effective control over the Strait of Hormuz,” then “that outcome would be a disastrous mistake.”

Cruz also urged Trump to “the early reports are wrong” and to “hold the line.” By Sunday, a final answer was expected from the US, with the argument now focused on whether the deal would satisfy Trump’s demand on Iran’s nuclear program and the uranium held on Iranian territory.

Next