The Trump administration is carrying out an education department student loan forgiveness reversal that rolls back some Biden-era payment credits and can delay forgiveness for some participants in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. For borrowers who lose credits, every one removed adds a month to the wait for loan forgiveness.
Public Service Loan Forgiveness gives borrowers loan forgiveness after 10 years in certain public service jobs and 120 qualifying student loan payments. The change affects people who had already been counting on those payments and, in some cases, building career and financial plans around them.
Ellen Keast on payment counts
Department of Education spokesperson Ellen Keast said the errors came from inaccurate payment counts for some borrowers. She said, "These errors resulted in inaccurate payment counts for some borrowers" and added, "The Department remains committed to ensuring that every qualifying payment is properly credited to a borrower's account."
The department’s position is that the payment counts were wrong; borrowers had been told the credits were permanent. That gap matters because the rollback changes the number of payments already credited toward forgiveness, not just the timing of a future application.
Jay Fleischman on borrower plans
Jay Fleischman, a student loan specialist and managing attorney at MoneyWise Law, said, "The past five years have been a series of disappointments for federal student loan borrowers." He also said, "Though it's important for payment counts to be correct, federal student loan borrowers have made financial and career plans based on the information they've already been provided."
Fleischman said taking away Biden-era payment credits would betray the trust of students who believed the government-granted credits were permanent. In his view, the administration’s actions threaten to derail the progress millions have made toward loan forgiveness.
SAVE and replacement notices
The rollback comes alongside broader changes in federal student loan repayment. The Biden administration added the income-driven SAVE plan in 2023, with payments limited to 5 percent of discretionary income and loan forgiveness after 20 to 25 years.
A federal judge declared the SAVE plan unconstitutional and ordered the government to end it in March 2026. Some 7.5 million borrowers were forced to choose a new plan because SAVE no longer existed, and starting July 1 they received notices that they had 90 days to choose a replacement plan.
For borrowers in Public Service Loan Forgiveness, the immediate effect is simple: a lost payment credit pushes forgiveness back by another month. The open question is which borrowers lost credits and how many were removed from each account.







