WHO declares Ebola emergency in Congo, Uganda — Ny Times
The World Health Organization declared the Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, ny times. The agency said the outbreak had already crossed borders, with two confirmed cases reported in Kampala after travel from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Both Kampala patients were admitted to intensive care units. The WHO said the event requires international coordination and cooperation to understand the outbreak and coordinate surveillance, prevention and response efforts.
WHO decision on May 17, 2026
The determination came on 17 May 2026 after the Director-General of WHO consulted the States Parties where the event was known to be occurring. The agency also said the outbreak did not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency under the International Health Regulations.
The WHO said an Emergency Committee would be convened as soon as possible. It also updated its statement to add the status of a case reported on 16 May in Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Kampala and Kinshasa cases
On 15 May, two confirmed cases were reported in Kampala, Uganda after travel from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. On 16 May, another case was reported in Kampala, and a laboratory confirmed case was reported in Kinshasa.
That cross-border spread is the immediate trigger for action from neighboring countries sharing land borders with the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which the WHO said were at high risk for further spread. For people in the affected areas, the practical next step is closer surveillance and response coordination rather than waiting for the outbreak to stay contained inside one country.
International Health Regulations
The declaration was made under the International Health Regulations of 2005, which the WHO used to classify the event as a public health emergency of international concern. The agency’s own language ties that step to international coordination, and the new cases in Kampala and Kinshasa show why the response now extends beyond one border.
The Emergency Committee will be convened as soon as possible, and the WHO has already signaled that the outbreak’s reach across the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda is the fact driving the next phase of response.