Roks Dosan Ahn Chang-ho docks in B.C. as Ottawa nears submarine choice
The roks dosan ahn chang-ho sailed into Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt on Saturday morning, bringing one of Canada’s two submarine finalists into Canadian waters as Ottawa moves closer to a decision on up to 12 new diesel-electric boats. The arrival opened a series of ceremonies and a joint exercise with the Canadian Navy.
CFB Esquimalt Arrival
The visit comes as Hanwha and Germany’s TKMS compete for Canada’s submarine contract, after both companies made their final pitches to Ottawa earlier in May. They had already submitted bids before a March 2 deadline, and the federal government extended the bidding process to encourage each company to strengthen its offer.
Glenn Copeland, chief executive officer of Hanwha Defence Canada, said the company welcomed the timing. “We’ve been at this for a while. We wanted the sub to come over here,” he said. “We’re going to take advantage of the timing, the fact that the submarine is here, and we’re quite happy to get that promoted.”
Canadian Submariners Aboard
The submarine’s Pacific crossing began after it left the Jinhae Naval Base in South Korea on March 25. The trip included refueling stops in Guam and Hawaii, where two Canadian submariners joined the Korean crew on May 7. Six more Canadians were expected to be aboard when the submarine departs.
Britany Bourgeois, a lieutenant-commander in the Canadian Navy, said the comparison with Canada’s current fleet changed her view of what newer boats offer. “Being on a newer submarine really opened our eyes to the possibilities of what we have in store. What really hits home is that Canada needs new submarines,” she said. Jake Dixon, a petty officer 2nd Class, put the contrast more bluntly: “It’s kind of like buying a brand-new Tesla and then you’re coming out of a ’99 Honda Civic.”
Patchell’s Force Goal
Only one of Canada’s four Victoria-class submarines is operational, while the other three are under repair. Rear-Admiral David Patchell, commander of Maritime Forces Pacific and Joint Task Force Pacific, said the submariner force must grow to 1,000 from about 200 now. “Is it a challenge? Absolutely, but it’s also an opportunity,” he said.
For Ottawa, the dockside visit puts a bidder’s boat in front of Canadian officials and submariners during the final phase of a procurement that will shape how the military replaces its aging fleet. For the crews already working with the current boats, the next step is not the ceremony but the decision on which builder will get the work.