National Highways Opens A31 Fire Update With Saturday Reopening

A31 fire update: National Highways will reopen the road Saturday morning after a wildfire near Ringwood destroyed about 1.6 sq km of heathland.

Published
1 Min Read
National Highways Opens A31 Fire Update With Saturday Reopening

The A31 fire update is that the road will reopen on Saturday morning, almost two weeks after a wildfire closure near Ringwood. National Highways said the main route between Bournemouth and Southampton is returning to use after resurfacing, new safety barriers and boundary fencing.

- Advertisement -

Kat Saradinova, head of scheme delivery, said: "With the fire raging for over a week, the repairs required were substantial and the conditions challenging." The fire, which followed a van fire on 9 August, destroyed about 1.6 sq km of heathland.

National Highways and Ringwood

National Highways has finished resurfacing the carriageway, installed 800m of new safety barriers and replaced 1,500m of boundary fencing. Saradinova also said: "Our work to replace the damaged fencing to stop animals getting on to the A31 has been essential for the safe opening of the road."

She added: "The New Forest is home to thousands of free-roaming animals, and a collision would put road users as well as livestock at risk."

New Forest reopening limits

The reopening does not bring a full return to normal traffic in every lane. Lane one will remain closed on the westbound carriageway, and a 50mph limit will stay in place there so fire services can safely exit the area. The eastbound carriageway will reopen with a 40mph speed limit, while temporary protection stays around damaged parapets until bespoke parts are found.

- Advertisement -

Permanent repairs are expected later under overnight closures, so drivers using the A31 on Saturday morning will be back on the road before the final work is finished. The closure had already caused widespread disruption on other routes through the New Forest, and this reopening restores the main Bournemouth and Southampton link even as the remaining restrictions stay in place.

Advertisement
Share This Article
On-the-ground news correspondent reporting from city halls, courtrooms, and press briefings. Holder of a Columbia Journalism School degree.