Colbert Ends May 21 as Stewart, Spielberg, Byrne Join — The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Jon Stewart; Steven Spielberg; David Byrne
the late show with stephen colbert jon stewart; steven spielberg; david byrne is heading into its final week with Jon Stewart, Steven Spielberg and David Byrne set for May 19, while Bruce Springsteen is booked for May 20. Stephen Colbert will close out the CBS run on May 21, ending a franchise that debuted in August 1993.
The show currently averages 2.7 million viewers, making it the most-watched late-night program. CBS said last year that canceling the franchise was purely a financial decision, even as Colbert turned the announcement into a public critique of Paramount’s $16 million settlement.
May 19 Guests
Jon Stewart is more than a booking; he is Colbert’s longtime friend and former boss at The Daily Show, which gives Monday’s lineup a sharper industry edge than a normal farewell-week appearance. Steven Spielberg and David Byrne widen the reach of the episode beyond comedy into film and music, a reminder that the show is using its last stretch to pull in names with broad cultural weight.
Colbert has already framed the end in plain terms: “It’s not just the end of our show, it’s the end of The Late Show on CBS.” He also told viewers, “I’m not being replaced. This is all just going away.” Those lines matter because this is not a handoff to a new host; it is a shutdown of the franchise itself.
Letterman Returns
David Letterman came back to the Ed Sullivan Theater on Thursday and drew a standing ovation, then used the moment to attack the network’s rationale. “I have every right to be pissed off, so I’ll be pissed off here a little bit,” he said, before adding, “You folks wouldn’t be at this theater if it weren’t for me, and Stephen wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for me.”
Letterman’s return connected the current ending to the show’s launch in August 1993 and Colbert’s takeover in September 2015. He also sharpened the argument over the cancellation, calling it “a botched holdup” in a recent interview and saying of CBS, “They’re lying.”
Paramount Pressure
CBS made the cancellation call last July after Colbert criticized Paramount for agreeing to pay a $16 million settlement over President Trump’s claims about a 60 Minutes interview with Kamala Harris. Colbert called that settlement a “big fat bribe,” and the timing landed while Paramount was seeking FCC approval for an $8 billion merger with Skydance Media.
The FCC approved that merger a few weeks later, which leaves the final episodes carrying a clear business aftertaste. For viewers, the practical result is simple: one of late night’s biggest draws is winding down now, with the final guest list still adding names while the network exits a 30-plus-year franchise on May 21.