PSNI investigates threatening email sent to schools and businesses in County Antrim — Belfast Live
Police in County Antrim are investigating a threatening email sent to multiple schools and businesses on Tuesday morning, after the message triggered reports across the area and a wider response from officers and schools. belfast live understands the Police Service of Northern Ireland began enquiries as reassurance patrols were stepped up.
County Antrim police response
The Police Service of Northern Ireland said it received reports on Tuesday morning in the County Antrim area and that officers were carrying out a number of enquiries. It also said it was engaging with schools, businesses and partner agencies throughout the day as those enquiries continued.
In a statement, the force said: "Reassurance patrols have also been increased in the areas affected, in order help keep our communities safe," and added: "engaging with anyone affected including schools, businesses and our partner agencies throughout the course of today as our enquiries continue". It also told the public: "We would urge anyone to report anything suspicious to police on our 101 number, always 999 in an emergency."
St Benedict's College Randalstown
One of the schools affected, St Benedict's College in Randalstown, said the Police Service of Northern Ireland had been informed of the email. The school said: "at this stage, the matter is not being treated as a serious threat" and added: "However, it is being addressed at a senior level, and we will continue to follow all guidance provided,".
St Benedict's College also said: "As a precaution, school doors will remain locked throughout the day as normal." It added: "Pupils will remain indoors until we receive further guidance from the PSNI."
Trevor Clarke on the email
Trevor Clarke, the DUP assembly member, said the wording of the message raised some questions and that the message had been shared online. He said: "Whilst any threat must be taken seriously, it is important that alarm is not caused unnecessarily and the wording of the message does raise some questions,".
Clarke added: "I want to reassure them and the wider community that I have spoken to police this morning, and they have opened an investigation." He also said: "It is important that we follow any advice which the police give to school leaders."
Roisin Lynch response
Roisin Lynch welcomed the swift response from police, emergency services and schools to reassure pupils and parents and ensure people's safety. She said: "No parent should have to fear for their child's safety when sending them to school and no young person should have their education disrupted by threats of this nature,".
The immediate practical effect for families and businesses in the affected parts of County Antrim is a tighter security posture: locked school doors, pupils kept indoors, and increased patrols while officers continue their enquiries. For anyone receiving similar messages or seeing related online posts, police asked that suspicious activity be reported on 101, or 999 in an emergency.