Tom Dundon-led sale triggers layoffs of 3 dozen Trail Blazers staff
Tom Dundon’s ownership change at the Portland Trail Blazers was followed Tuesday morning by layoffs of at least three dozen staff members on the business side. The move came nearly two months after the NBA Board of Commissioners approved the sale, and it immediately reset the day-to-day picture inside the franchise.
Dewayne Hankins said the restructuring is part of the team’s plan to position the organization for the future. In a written statement, he said, “Today, as part of our plans to position the organization for the future, we made the difficult decision to restructure several areas of the business.”
Hankins on the cuts
Hankins also said, “These changes impacted talented people who have helped shape the Trail Blazers over many years.” He added, “We are deeply grateful for their contributions, their leadership and the care they showed every day for our team, our fans and the Portland community.”
In a separate statement, he said, “Our focus now is supporting those affected through the transition and positioning the organization for long-term success.” The layoffs hit the business side of the basketball franchise, not the on-court roster, and people familiar with the organization said the scope was hard to pin down exactly.
Scope of the Blazers layoffs
Those familiar with the organization said the layoffs could be as many as 40 people, and they could reach all the way up to the senior vice president level. Other posts on X said upwards of 70 employees had been let go, but the team had not publicly commented on the restructuring as of the report.
Casey Holdahl, a Trail Blazers insider and team reporter, was among those hit after more than 18 years with the team. That leaves a sharp break with one of the franchise’s longest-serving business-side voices as the new ownership group settles in.
Dundon group and warning rules
The sale was approved by the NBA Board of Commissioners nearly two months earlier and was bought by a group led by billionaire Tom Dundon, who also owns the Carolina Hurricanes. His group includes Sheel Tyle, Marc Zahr and the Cherng Family Trust.
By 2 p.m. Tuesday, no WARN notice had been sent out in advance of the layoff. A WARN notice is required for employers if there is a massive layoff of 50 or more employees, and the absence of that filing leaves the final count and reach of the cuts unresolved inside the organization.