Greater Sudbury Police rule out direct link in April 16 death — Ctv News Sudbury

Greater Sudbury Police rule out direct link in April 16 death — Ctv News Sudbury

Greater Sudbury Police said there is no evidence to establish a direct link between an earlier altercation and the April 16 collision that killed a 16-year-old girl. The statement, released Monday, narrows the focus of the case around the fatal pedestrian collision on Westmount Avenue near William Avenue.

Officers were called just before 9:55 p.m. on April 16 to a “serious collision involving a pedestrian.” The teen was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead there. Police said they will not release her name out of respect for the family’s wishes.

Westmount Avenue collision

Police said the driver remained at the scene, offered aid, and contacted emergency services. Collision reconstruction and evidence gathered at the scene led investigators to conclude there were “insufficient grounds to support any driving-related charges.”

Investigators also said the pedestrian was in the roadway at the time of the collision in an area with limited lighting. That detail is part of the reconstruction police used to assess how the collision unfolded and whether the driver’s conduct met the threshold for charges.

Earlier altercation on sidewalk

Police said the teen had been involved in an altercation with a lone female shortly before she was struck. The confrontation happened on a sidewalk away from the crosswalk where the collision occurred, and police said the young woman and the other individual separated and walked away in different directions.

That leaves two parts of the case moving on separate tracks. The assault investigation remains ongoing, while police have said the evidence does not connect that earlier dispute to the fatal collision itself. For the family, the result is a narrower criminal picture, with the crash investigation closed to driving-related charges and the assault file still open.

Next