Trump Says Additional 5,000 Troops to Poland — Military Deployment
President Donald Trump said Thursday that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, using a Truth Social post to tie the military deployment to Karol Nawrocki’s election as president of Poland. The announcement came after weeks of reports that U.S. forces in Europe were being reduced, not expanded.
One U.S. defense official said Friday, “We just spent the better part of two weeks reacting to the first announcement, We don’t know what this means either,” after Trump’s latest post. That uncertainty now sits on top of a delayed Poland deployment, a halted Germany movement and competing White House and Pentagon signals.
Trump’s Poland announcement
Trump wrote, “Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland.” The statement was the clearest new order in a sequence that has moved U.S. posture in Europe in two directions at once.
As of last week, some 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division were no longer en route to Poland. U.S. officials also said a deployment to Germany of personnel trained to fire long-range missiles had been halted.
Pentagon’s shifting explanation
Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Tuesday that the Poland delay was “a temporary delay” and described Poland as a “model U.S. ally.” Parnell said the delay came because the U.S. was reducing the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three.
That explanation followed earlier statements from the Trump administration that it was reducing U.S. troop levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops. Trump and the Pentagon have also said in recent weeks that they were drawing down at least 5,000 troops in Germany, while Trump told reporters at the beginning of the month that the U.S. would be cutting a lot further than 5,000.
Poland and Europe react
Republican Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska said Polish officials were “blindsided” by the reductions and called the decision “reprehensible.” Bacon also said the reductions were “an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland,” putting a rare public break between the White House’s latest pledge and criticism from within Trump’s own party.
The sequence leaves the U.S. military footprint in Europe in a state of motion: a promised additional force for Poland on one hand, and a still-active Europe drawdown on the other. The next fixed point is the interpretation of Trump’s order inside the Pentagon, which defense officials were still trying to sort out on Friday.