Mayweather sues Jona Rechnitz over alleged $175 million fraud

Mayweather sues Jona Rechnitz over alleged $175 million fraud

Floyd Mayweather Jr. filed a complaint Thursday evening in Manhattan County Supreme Court accusing Jona Rechnitz of stealing at least $175 million. The filing says the alleged losses came from real estate, jewelry and a Gulfstream G-IV private jet, and it says Rechnitz used two associates in a multi-year fraudulent scheme.

Mayweather’s lawsuit puts his financial dealings with Rechnitz back in court after years of public trust and private business ties. The complaint says Mayweather relied on advisors, attorneys, accountants and managers for his financial and transactional affairs, while Rechnitz presented himself as a highly sophisticated real estate investor.

Manhattan County Supreme Court

The complaint says Rechnitz began cultivating a relationship with Mayweather in 2017 after a mutual acquaintance introduced them. By 2024, it says Rechnitz had taken the de facto role of Mayweather’s investment manager, real estate advisor and banking liaison. Mayweather was described in the filing as having no formal post-secondary education and no formal training in finance, accounting, real estate or commercial law.

Leo Jacobs, Mayweather’s attorney, said, “As they say, the gloves are off,” about the allegations. The lawsuit lands after Mayweather publicly praised Rechnitz at a New York real estate forum in May 2025, saying, “I trust Jona – not just 10 percent, 20 percent – 100 percent.” He also said, “Jona is my friend.”

Rechnitz’s 2016 case

The filing also points to Rechnitz’s earlier legal problems. He was brought up on federal bribery charges in 2016 and later sentenced to five months in prison and five months of house arrest. The complaint says he also had a fraud conviction and a civil fraud judgment in a case involving Hollywood producer Victor Noval.

The dispute is now set against two different records in the same filing: Mayweather’s 50-0 run across five weight classes and Rechnitz’s claimed role inside his financial life. Last month, the two were jointly sued over an alleged unpaid $100,000 private jet bill after a flight to the Caribbean.

The new case turns on whether Mayweather can prove the alleged $175 million loss came from a single scheme rather than separate transactions. For now, the complaint asks a Manhattan court to sort out real estate, jewelry and jet-related claims that Mayweather says were tied together by Rechnitz and two associates.

Next