Putin Orders Retaliation After Starobilsk Drone Warfare Strike
A Ukrainian drone strike hit a college dormitory in Starobilsk, and drone warfare has now left six people dead, 15 still missing, and 40 injured in Ukraine’s Russian-occupied Luhansk region. Vladimir Putin responded in Moscow on Friday by calling the attack a "crime" and ordering the military to submit proposals for retaliation.
Starobilsk Dormitory Death Toll
Putin said the death toll had risen to six at a meeting with war veterans in Moscow on Friday, placing the dormitory strike at the center of his public response. The local health minister said 40 people were injured in the attack, while 15 people remained missing after the strike hit the college dormitory building.
Starobilsk sits in Ukraine’s Russian-occupied Luhansk region, where the dormitory building became the latest site tied to the expanding pattern of Ukrainian drone strikes and Russian military responses. In this case, the strike did not stop at damage to a building; it produced a growing casualty list that officials were still counting on Friday.
Putin Calls It A Crime
Putin denounced the attack on the dormitory as a "crime" and told the military to submit its proposals for retaliation. That order turns the Moscow meeting into a practical next step, not just a statement of anger, because it directs Russia’s military leadership to prepare options after the Starobilsk strike.
The figure that matters most for families tied to the dormitory is still the missing count. Six people were dead by Friday, 15 were unaccounted for, and 40 had been wounded, leaving the strike’s full toll tied to the search for those still missing in the occupied city.
Moscow's Response Sequence
The sequence was direct: the Ukrainian drone strike hit Starobilsk on Friday, the death toll rose to six, and Putin then spoke in Moscow the same day. His order for retaliation proposals means the next move will come from Russia’s military leadership, not from the veterans’ meeting where he made the announcement.